Are you doing everything you can to stay healthy?
Everyone knows the importance of a healthy diet and exercise, but there are things you should add to your routine for optimum health. Here are the top ten actions you can take for a long, healthy life:
• Stop smoking – Just two weeks after quitting a man’s risk of heart attack drops significantly, and lung function begins to improve.
• Watch your weight – Drop excess pounds, and strive for a BMI (body weight in kilograms divided by squared height in meters) between 18.5 and 24.9.
• Get physical – Engage in some type of physical activity every day.
• Eat a heart healthy diet – Include lots of fruits and vegetables, whole gains, and lean protein.
• Keep blood pressure in check – Incorporating the above actions, along with reducing stress, can help men control high blood pressure.
• Get a yearly physical – Along with assessing overall health, doctors will check men for issues such as hernia and testicular cancer.
• Get screened for prostate and colon cancer — A part of a man’s yearly exam, doctors can perform an initial check and recommend more tests if needed.
• Perform a home testicle exam – Regular checks can note any changes, lumps or swelling that should be reported immediately to your doctor.
• Keep mentally active – Continue to engage your mind with puzzles, games and books.
• Keep Connected – Maintain close, supportive relationships with friends and family.
• Know the signs of depression – Men tend to lose interest in daily life, or become very irritable. If symptoms persist, be sure to get professional help.